Momentum Walk-in Counselling is committed to protecting the privacy of the personal information of its clients, donors, volunteers, employees and stakeholders. Momentum Walk-in Counselling values the trust of those we deal with, and of the public. We recognize that maintaining that trust requires that we be transparent and accountable in how we treat the information that you choose to share with us.
We do not share donor or volunteer lists. We do not share, without consent, personal client information with any other organization. Emergency or life threatening situations are the only exceptions to this policy.
By submitting this online form I certify that the statements provided by me are true and accurate to the best of my knowledge. I understand that any falsification on the application will result in my not being considered for a volunteer position with The Momentum Walk-in Counselling.
Defining Personal Information
Personal information is any information about an identifiable individual, except for their business contact information such as would be on a business card. In cases where personal information and business contact information records are together and we are unable to separate them, we will handle such records as personal information. Momentum Walk-in Counselling collects and uses personal information primarily to provide services, process donations, establish and maintain donor and volunteer relations, and manage human and volunteer resources.
We do not share personal information with any other organization nor share donor or volunteer lists. In order to ensure that privacy is protected, Momentum Walk-in Counselling commits to honoring the following Ten Principles of Fair Privacy Practices.
Ten Principles of Fair Privacy Practices •
- Accountability: Momentum Walk-in Counselling has designated employees the responsibility for compliance to the ten privacy principles.
- Identifying Purpose: Each program will identify the purpose for which personal information is collected at or before the time it is collected. The purposes for which the information is collected, used or disclosed must be those that a reasonable person would consider are appropriate in the circumstances.
- Consent: The knowledge and consent of the individual are required for the collection, use or disclosure of personal information, except where consent is not required by privacy legislation.
- Limiting Collection: Momentum Walk-in Counselling will limit the collection of personal information to that which is necessary for providing services. Personal information will be collected by fair and lawful means.
- Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention: Personal information will not be used or disclosed for purposes other that those for which it was collected except with the consent of the individual or as required by law. Personal information is retained only as long as necessary for the fulfillment of the purposes for which it is collected.
- Accuracy: Personal information will be as accurate, complete and to-date as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used.
- Safeguards: Personal information will be protected by security safeguards appropriate for the sensitivity of the information.
- Openness: Momentum Walk-in Counselling will make readily available to employees, volunteers, clients and donors information about the policies and practices relating to the management of personal information.
- Individual Access: Upon request, an individual will be informed of the existence, use and disclosure of his or her personal information and will be given access to that information. An individual will be able to challenge the accuracy of the information and have it amended as appropriate.
- Challenging Compliance: An individual will be able to address a challenge concerning compliance with Momentum Walk-in Counselling’s designated Privacy Officer.